Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Doily Jewelry Catch-All

Fancy Faye's DIY Doily Catch-All 
Fancy Faye's DIY Doily Catch-All

I stumbled upon this idea thanks to my terrific fellow "pinners" on Pinterest, so when I found some doilies at a recent estate sale, I snatched them up for this project!  Below is the inspiration, above is my result.  Quite often I will see a picture of something I like and will just improvise how to do it my own way with what I have on-hand, without ever reading the how-to...and this time it wasn't too different from the original's method.  
Inspiration Photo from Design*Sponge

1) I started by covering the bottom of a large bowl with cling wrap and covering the counter top with wax paper for easy cleaning.  I turned the bowl upside down. 
2) I then filled a disposable plastic cup half-way with fabric stiffener that I purchased at a local craft store for another project.
3)  I submerged the entire doily into the cup and ensured it was all saturated with the stiffener.
4) I then rang out the excess and draped it over the bowl, reforming the pattern as even as possible.
5) Let it dry for approximately 24 hours, or until it stands on it's own.
TADA! 

The inspiration photo DIYer painted the fabric stiffener on to the draped doily, which would definitely work (especially for very intricate doilies).

As you can see, I'm using this one as a jewelry "catch-all" and earring holder.  I wear a lot of vintage clip on earrings which are difficult to organize without just trowing them in a box mixed together, so this was a great fix for that.  I'm currently making a few more for other areas of the house.  I am pretty sure one will make it to the new entry table I'm making as a catch-all for keys and mail!  I'm excited to see how they all turn out!  

2 comments:

  1. Your earrings look super cute hooked on the side! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    I love your blog, everything about it !!! It makes me so happy to see Grandma's china in your displays...it looks prettier than it ever did. Thank you for all of the kind words....I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete