Monday, February 27, 2012

A Tasty, "Healthier" Chicken Salad

For those of you who don't know me, I am weird about condiments.  I don't really like them and if I happen to eat them, they are in very small quantities or hidden in recipes.  For example: I will eat a tiny bit of ketchup on my french fries, however, I would still prefer honey.  I don't eat mayo or mustard but will grab some at the store for 1 of 2 specific recipes: mayo for chicken salad, mustard for salmon (very very occasionally).  Today I'll share how I like to make chicken salad.


My (Healthier) Chicken Salad


Ingredients:
2 Chicken Breasts
Celery- 1 stalk
Green Onions- 1/2 bunch
Apple (pink lady, jazz, etc.)- half
Mayo (I use Low fat Hellmann's- the green label)
EVOO
Mrs. Dash (Original Blend)
Dill Weed
Salt




1) Start by warming your grill pan to medium with olive oil.  Coat the chicken breasts to taste in Mrs. Dash.  Cook the chicken.  Salt to taste when cooked.
2) While the chicken cooks, chop the celery, green onions, and half the apple. Place in refrigerator while chicken cooks/cools.
3) Once the chicken cools, shred it/chop it and add to celery, green onions and apple mixture.  
4) Add mayo to taste.  Since I'm not a huge fan, I only use about 1 heaping table spoon. Some people like their chicken salad more "wet" and creamier, I prefer more "dry" and crunchier (lots of celery, little dressing).  
5) Mix everything together well to spread about the mayo.  A little does go a long way.  
6) Sprinkle with dill weed, to taste (I like a ton).  Mix it all together again and refrigerate for 3-4 hours before eating.  


I call this a healthier version because you are using a very little low fat mayo and chicken breasts.  You could take it one step healthier and just grill the chicken, eliminating the need for olive oil.  I've also heard of people adding grapes and/or nuts to their salad...get creative and make it how you like it.    


If you try it, let me know what you think! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment