Sunday, January 29, 2012

DIY Jewelry Organizer

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!  For today's post, I thought I would explain how to make a fun and very functional earring/jewelry organizer!  Do you have a hard time keeping all of your earrings paired and accessible?  Well, this project may be your solution!


This is my first "how-to" post so I hope I covered it fully, however, if there are any questions--please feel free to ask! :)


Here are some photos of the finished product before I explain "how-to"...


Fancy Faye's DIY Jewelry Organizer

You will need:
Shadow box--I found mine in the unfinished wood craft section of the craft store
Acrylic Paint
Sponge brushes
Wire Mesh
Scrapbook Paper and Spray Adhesive (Optional)
Hot Glue or E-6000
Hooks or Decorative Knobs (Optional)
Clear sealer (Optional)

Step by step:
    1)  Carefully and safely remove glass from shadow box.  I find using thick dish towels works nicely.
    2)  Remove any hardware from frame, before painting, if desired.
    3)   Paint shadow box.  Get creative!  Use multiple colors, create a design, or maybe try a crackle finish!  If you choose to do the crackle finish, follow the steps on Elmer’s website: http://www.elmers.com/diy/project/crackle-finish, however, replace wood glue with regular white school glue, as it turns out much better in my experiences.  
    4)  Once completely dry, spray entire shadow box with clear sealer.  Follow the directions on the bottle for best results.  If you like the matte look, skip the sealer.
    5)  Cut scrapbook paper to place in shadow box and glue in place (Optional).  I find that using a spray adhesive works best.  Again, get creative!  Try using photos, magazine clippings, post cards, Broadway Playbills...endless opportunities to make it individual and one-of-a-kind!
    6)    Cut out wire mesh to fit where glass was originally.  You can find wire mesh at the hardware store, however, you can use any material here you like.  Whatever you choose, just make sure it will be strong enough to hold your earrings.  I have used lace in the past and it worked great. 
    7)   Use hot glue/E-6000/Strong glue of your choosing to adhere wire mesh to frame.
    8)   Add cup hooks or decorative knobs to the frame for necklace organization (Optional).  I love using those gorgeous knobs from Anthropologie (which you can find on sale quite often)!
    9)   Put it all back together and hang it on your wall or set on your dresser, fill with jewelry, and Voila!   

    These jewelry organizers are fun and easy to make.  They make a perfect gift and are great for all ages because the design can easily be individualized! 
    Not into DIYing?  I have the two pictured for sale on my etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/FancyFaye.  

  Happy Crafting!




1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the one you made me. It his hanging in my "dressing room." It is almost time for me to get a second. My jewelry collection almost covers the entire organizer. The best part? I can still easily see all my pieces and grab them as I get dressed. So much better than having them tucked out of sight.

    ReplyDelete